There are several programs offering free cars for single moms. The Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, a think-tank in Washington, D.C., vouched for donating cars because of “spatial mismatch” existing between many low-income people and the location of their workplace. This effect is compounded when single mothers responsible for their children is put into perspective.
Various studies on the efficacy of programs giving away free cars for single moms have shown that the beneficiaries are more likely to find and hold on to their jobs. The studies link to the better time management of single mothers, thanks to their personal mode of transport.
Single mothers, Low-income families, Students, etc. are all beneficiaries of government programs to get a new or used car. Donating cars are based on some criteria in which one’s credit score is certainly not a part of it. This guide on the programs offering free cars for single moms covers a holistic view on various programs offered government, charities, nonprofit organizations and how to make the best use of grants for cars offered by them.
Where to Start Looking for Free Cars for Single Moms?
A single mother hardly makes enough money as that of two earning members in a family. Public transport is not favorable all the time, especially for commuters with children. Getting a car on their own is difficult for low-income groups and most single mothers fall under this category. Thanks to the government car assistance programs, programs run by several government supported; nonprofit organizations offering free cars for single moms, owning a car is made easy and highly affordable.
While public transport is in the maturing phase, not every work, especially for single moms, is possible without a reliable means of personal transport. Free cars being offered to single moms come to the rescue here.
There are ways to be eligible for free cars for single mothers, however, finding such programs for single mothers can be tricky and so here is a comprehensive list of charity programs that donate cars to single mothers.
Charity Programs to Get a Free Car for Single Mom
Here is a list of charity programs for single mom free cars.
- Vehicles for Change
- 1-800 Charity cars
- Good News Garage
- Working Cars for Working Families
These free cars for single moms programs help mothers living in georgia, michigan, illinois, maryland, newyork, arkansas, alabama, florida, california, minnesota, oklahoma, pennsylvania, texas, utah etc.
Let’s have a brief detail about each program.
- FreeCharityCars.org: It is perhaps one of the most popular sites for finding free cars. The entire process of getting a car for single moms is easy. Start by creating a free account on the website. Share your story or purpose of getting a free car. If the shared story is genuine, it gets upvotes from fellow participants. The logic is simple, more the number of votes on the story, more is the chance of moving top in the waiting list in getting a free car. The recipient, who is a single mom here, is selected based on votes and individual situations of the aspirants of that locality.
- Womenwithdrive.org: Women with drive programs are only available in Chicago and its surrounding areas, but the site accepting free car requests from other areas too. Eligible candidates for free cars are required to make a two-year commitment to the program in exchange for the vehicle.
- Vehicles for Change: The Vehicles for Change program is available in Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia. The program has been running since 1999 and has helped over 5,190 families and single moms get a free car. Cars received by single moms under this program costs around $750. It comes with a low-interest guaranteed loan.
- Wheels4hope.org: Donated vehicles are refurbished and sold to eligible recipients with a warranty of 6-months. The recipients are required to pay around $500 as a part of admin charges. The program offers cars for free apart for the sale to the general public in order to cover the program costs. Such cars for single moms are valued at around $2,000 to $4,000 dollars.
- Extendedfamily.org: Apart from providing cars at no or minimal cost to single mothers, this NGO helps provide clothing, housing, medicine, and transportation services.
- 1-800 Charity Cars: Provides free vehicles to a larger section of low-income families. One of its successful campaigns includes free cars.
- Good News Garage: Programs offering free car are active in Massachusetts, New Hamshire and Vermont, although the eligibility criteria may differ from one and other.
- Working Cars for Working Families: Operating out of Kansas City and Belton, they ensure that applicants get a fair deal when buying or financing a car.
US Government Provides Support to Single Mothers for Free Car
The US government is open to financially support and provide free cars to single moms. The government set-asides a certain sum of money from its budget each year on social programs for single mothers in need of a car.
Single moms happen to be the largest beneficiaries of the Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) program run by the government. It was since the early 1990s that the culture of donating used cars to charity gained traction for many wealthy Americans. In fact, the support from the federal government ensured that the IRS allows such donors to claim a tax deduction on their service.
All types of charity organizations and Non-profit organizations have immensely benefitted from such support from the government. As more and more states started to implement this policy, more single mothers got free cars thereby improving the TANF recipients’ access to transportation.
These programs for single mothers in need of a car matches the donated and refurbished vehicles with eligible recipients. Some donated cars are given outright to eligible recipients, while others benefit through generous loans with minimum or no interest intended for the purchase of the vehicle.
The government provides different types of grants for single mothers such as grants for home buying, grants for starting a business, grants for education, etc. to help them economically and socially. Among them, the grants offering free cars to single mothers is one of the popular grants programs. Find out more by contacting your local social welfare and grants office. A similar form of grants is made available by Nonprofit Organisations to single moms to buy a car.
Programs Offering Free Cars for Single Mothers Vary Across the States
Although the tax deduction rule for donating a car to charity is applicable in all 50 states, not every state has programs offering free cars to single moms.
Car donation programs for single moms exist in several states, including Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, and Virginia, although the quantum and magnitude of the programs may vary. Every state has varying eligibility criteria for awarding free cars to single moms.
Usually, TANF recipients, here the single mothers, reach out to the concerned agencies. The application is endorsed by a welfare caseworker known to the applicant to make a successful bid for free cars for single moms.
Here is a comprehensive summary of available programs for single mothers in need of a car :
|DuPage County, Illinois||It offers donated cars to eligible recipients endorsed by the state welfare caseworker. However, the recipient is required to pay for the registration and title of vehicles. The program is supported by a private foundation.|
|Kansas program||TANF funds are put to use to offer a free car to a single mom.|
|North Carolina’s Wheels-to-Work program||It is a program offering grants for cars. Alternatively, donated cars are given to recipients for two years after which the recipients own the car.|
|Arizona program||The donated vehicles are given to a state contractor. The agency scouts for eligible recipients to lease cars for a period of one year.|
|Colorado program||TANF funds are used to buy or repair cars before donating them to eligible recipients.|
Options other than federal grants for cars include services from local community or loan programs from the state government. Many car programs including free cars offered to single mothers come with low-interest loans even with a bad credit profile.
If none of the above ways to get grants for cars works successfully, the applicant may try to attend car auctions held by local garages from time-to-time. Such refurbished cars affordable and may fit in your budget.
Eligibility for Free Cars for Single Mothers
While the eligibility requirements for grants for cars varies from individual programs, there are some basic criteria to be fulfilled by the concerned applicant, such as:
- Eligible for a motor vehicle license
- Reputed job or holding a legitimate job offer
- Must meet all the income requirements set by the concerned program offering free cars.
- Ability to pay for insurance
- Should not be owning any other vehicle
- No serious criminal record in the past
Auto Insurance Coverage on Cars Owned by Single Moms
Life becomes even more precious when someone else is dependent on you. Such is the case of single moms who is also responsible for the protection and safety of her child. The idea of getting insurance eases down the pressure of protecting oneself as well as your dependent. It really comes in handy in times of unfortunate situations. Otherwise also, getting insurance for car owners is mandatory in almost every state of the U.S.
There is no special discount on auto insurance coverage on a car owned by a single mom. The cheapest and the best insurance services for free cars for single moms start at around $130. Depending on one’s profile, the insurance service providers may offer discounts on the same.
However, standard auto insurance coverage on a car includes Liability coverage, Collision coverage, Personal injury protection, Rental car reimbursement, Roadside service, Free towing and many more.
The need for transportation and various programs run by the government, nonprofit organizations, charities are discussed at length in the above guide on free cars for single moms. Now it is up to the profile of a single mother needing a car to make the best use of the opportunity offered by several agencies across the country.